Monday, February 6, 2012

Toxic Brew Alert - Are YOU causing your baby to be sick?

by Hero Mom
http://www.hero-mom.blogspot.com/

Harmful Household Cleaner Chemicals
I recently watched a video about toxins in our cleaning supplies and I was surprised and appalled at what the video revealed. (see below)


It is amazing to me that so many of the products that manufacturers claim are safe for children are filled with harmful chemicals or pesticides.  My recent article on Bleach No More : A Safer Alternative for Your Bathroom highlights the harmful effects of Clorox.

Toxic Household Products
I have made it my life's mission to find healthier cleaning products and also spread the news about harmful chemicals that affect our children. I decided to do more research on another well known household cleaner that I have used whenever I was sick or my kids were sickIf you have a child with asthma and/or upper respiratory problems please pay attention.


Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 Alert
Did you know that many product manufacturers are now using the CPSIA (CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETYIMPROVEMENT ACT OF 2008)!


Ethanolamine
According to wikipedia, CPSIA is a general law that imposes new testing and documentation requirements, and sets new acceptable levels of several substances. As of 2008, manufactures that produce apparel, shoes, personal care products, accessories and jewelry, home furnishings, bedding, toys, electronics and video games, books, school supplies, educational materials and science kits are under stricter guidelines.

The Act also increases fines and specifies jail time for some violations. This includes stricter guidelines on products with high lead content. Although the act focuses more on products for children not cleaning products - because kids do not use cleaning products.

LYSOL
For example, LYSOL® Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner ingredients include: (for full listing click on link) displays the CPSIA on the other domain that lists all the ingredients of their products.

Water, Diluent, Ethanolamine, Phenoxyisopropanol, Lauramine Oxide, Fragrance / Parfum Fragrance Alkyl (67% C12, 25% C14, 7% C16, 1% C8-C10-C18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides,Dipropylene Glycol Phenyl Ether, Alkyl (50% C14, 40% C12, 10% C16) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides,Ethanol.


I will pick one of the ingredients to show YOU that it is not safe (please note, most likely it is stated that the level of Ethanolamine in the product is not strong enough to be toxic.)

According to the Dept. of Labor, Ethanolamine (aka Ethylolamine) could cause irritation of eyes, skin, respiratory system; drowsiness; cough, sore throat, shortness of breath; headache; eye redness, pain, burns; skin redness, pain, severe deep burns; INGES ACUTE: abdominal pain, burning sensation; shock or collapse.

Toxic Brew
Do you know what the ingredients in your cleaning products mean?
The definition of ethanolamine is a clear colorless liquid with an odor resembling that of ammonia. Flash point 185°F. May attack copper, brass, and rubber. Corrosive to tissue. Moderately toxic. Produces toxic oxides of nitrogen during combustion.

I urge you to watch the Toxic Brew video and I will continue to update you on harmful products and how they affect your environment and the safety of your children. 

I am here to help you. I would be happy to research any of your household products or help you find a safer alternative, please email me at beth_wells608@yahoo.com There is no charge for my help. I am doing this because I care.


No comments:

Post a Comment