|Cinnamon Applesauce Star Ornaments|
My son and I did this fun activity over the weekend!
We made homemade Cinnamon Applesauce Holiday Ornaments.
There are many ways to use the ornaments:
- Hang cinnamon ornaments from a Christmas tree
- Decorate packages with the ornaments.
- String together to make scented garland or as a great holiday gift.
|Cinnamon Applesauce Holiday Ornament Dough|
- 1 cup cinnamon
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- flour (optional 1 or 2 tablespoons)
|Mixing Cinnamon and Applesauce |
Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments
Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments Recipe:
- In a medium bowl, combine cinnamon and applesauce until it forms into a dough (the cinnamon and applesauce combination should form a dough)
- Add flour till dough is the consistency you desire (if it does not form properly) Remember the dough is flat.
- Work the dough with your hands for 3 or 4 minutes until dough is smooth and ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- If the dough becomes a little crumbly, add a tablespoon of applesauce at a time to it until it is smooth and a bit sticky.
- Roll out dough to 1/3 inch thickness. It will be sticky, so be careful with it. You can use cinnamon like flour on your pin and rolling surface to stop it from sticking.
- Cut dough with cookie cutters. Simple shapes like hearts, bells, trees and ginger men are easier to work with than cutters with complicated shapes.
- Using straw make small hole in top of ornament.
- Put on wire rack to dry. (this can take a couple of days. be sure to flip over to help in the drying process) OR (if you don't want to wait several days)
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 150 degrees for 2 1/2 hours (this is for drying it out so don't increase temperature otherwise you will burn it)
- Remove Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments from the cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack.
- Loop a ribbon through the top.
- You can use acrylic paints to decorate the ornaments once they are dry.
My son loved this activity so much that were making them as gifts for the whole family!!!!!